Friday 25 February 2011

Story time: Deep water

There once was a river as wide as an ocean and my petrifying adventure began there. They called it the Ghostly River and spoke of its mysterious nature and mothers scared the children to sleep just by mentioning its name.

I felt scared and provoked, so I decided to find out for myself what happened to everyone who went there. One day I went there and stealthily I crept nearer and nearer until a great tidal wave of what seemed like ice, swept over me. I felt nothing but cold. There was a horribly painful drowning sensation before everything went black.

I woke up in darkness and lay on an immensely uncomfortable surface that felt like a bed of nails. I just managed to sit up in tons of slimy, slippery seaweed. I don’t know how far I swam, but it felt like miles. Suddenly I realised that I needed to get out and fast.

I swam up with all the strength I could gather, sliced through the water and suck in a breath of fresh air. I was drained and exhausted by then. The bitter cold water had started to pierce my skin and chill my bones. I started sinking deeper and deeper.

And then appeared a light and soft hand that clutched mine. I was frozen but the warm embrace was bringing me to life. I could taste the feint familiar scent and it roused me from the deep slumber….

It was a cold morning and my quilt had slipped on the floor. I was shivering in cold when my mother arrived to wake me up for school. Her smile was brilliant like the morning sun and reassuring as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment